XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 5 Things to Avoid on Twitter

5 Things to Avoid on Twitter

Posted on 22. May, 2010 by .

Twitter is very popular these days. But there are lot of people that certainly don’t use it right. I got to admit that I haven’t been the most active person on Twitter, yet there are a few things that always annoy me.

I just want to briefly cover 5 points in this article.

Validation Services

Why would anyone use validation services? Just to see whether the person that just followed you is truly a valid person? I always think that when someone sends me a direct message saying I am using this Validation service please click .. that I have just validated that I am human by following you.

Photo by CarrotBlog

And why would you even care if it’s just an automated service that follows you? It’s not like that service is going to send you anything. You only profit from having more followers don’t you?

Two Twitter Accounts to Retweet Each Other

I can understand why people would have multiple Twitter accounts. But there are always these people that use one account to write about their new articles. Then they switch to the other and retweet what they have just send out of the other account.

It’s a lot easier if you just spend the time instead on trying to build up a relationship with other bloggers. It’s a little bit pathetic. I mean of course are you trying to get more exposure but that’s definitely not the best way to get it.

Using Twitter to Make Money

I don’t think that Twitter is designed as a place where people should be making money. I believe that Twitter is about being social and making money just doesn’t fit into that category. I think it’s approriate to tweet about a website of yours where you have put some affiliate links. In the end this will make you money.

But I believe it’s wrong to use all these advertising services such as Ad.ly or others as long as they don’t add any value to your followers.

Only Promoting Your Content

Twitter is not about promoting your content. And yes that is partly what everyone, who is new to blogging, has been taught. But social media is about connecting with other people and especially Twitter is a great place to meet new bloggers.

Nobody is going to follow you for a long time if all you do is to promote your own content. You need to create a conversation, something that is valuable to both sides. You just can’t have a one way conversation. Both parties need to be involved.

Not Engaging Other People

Twitter is one of the best social media web sites to get to know new people. If you don’t engage other people you are missing out on a great opportunity. Support other people and help them spread the word and they will do the same thing for you.

You only need to make the first step. And that’s the crucial part most people don’t understand. Take the first step, engage other people and help them. And ultimately everything will come back to you.

What do you think? What is bad practice on Twitter? Do you agree with my points?

16 Responses to “5 Things to Avoid on Twitter”

1. huey

22. May, 2010

very true points, advertising with services like ad.ly will make you very little while costing you many followers and all services like twitter should not be used to promote your content alone. Promoting the content of others is a way to show that you aren’t in it for yourself. this will help you build a community where the followers actually care about what you tweet.

Great Article :)

• Julius

23. May, 2010

Thanks Huey. I don’t understand why people use them. I mean they make maybe a few bucks from them but they aren’t really worth it for the long term.

I have recently realized that you should just promote content of other people and you will naturally get a lot of followers and traffic. It’s all about giving first.

Thanks for the comment!

2. Hesham @ How to Blog

22. May, 2010

lol the first one is soo funny and true :)
    I use Twitter to make money once every year, so it’s not a big deal!

Very good article Julius, good work man!

• Julius

23. May, 2010

Thanks Hesham for the support. Well it’s okay as long as you don’t focus overly on making money. You have been doing a great job at FB. Keep it up man!

3. pedro

25. May, 2010

couldn’t agree more…

i would add though that using the account to just chat to someone else like a MSN conversation is a no no too. yes communicate, use DM if need be or pass on details to communicate via email. perhaps summarise the discussion in a blog post and tweet that if it has value.

• Julius

28. May, 2010

I totally agree. You shouldn’t use Twitter to chat that would be missing the whole point. Thanks for the comment.

4. Brandon Cox

26. May, 2010

Interesting take on making money. I’m not a fan of in stream ad services, but I don’t see a problem with an affiliate link now and then (with disclosure). Why? Because if affiliate marketing is built on the idea that I’m recommending what I like, then Twitter seems the perfect platform for it. For me, that might total one out of every 500 tweets, so quite rare. Just another perspective.

• Julius

28. May, 2010

I agree, maybe I didn’t write it in an understandable way. It’s important to recommend what you like. Again there are so many people out there who simply recommend something they have heard about but they have never really tried it. Thanks for the comment Brandon!

5. DiTesco

27. May, 2010

These are indeed annoying thing on Twitter and maybe I can think of a dozen more. The only point that I am not in total agreement is using Twitter to make money. Maybe the wording is wrong, making money, but most certainly is very useful for “business”. Using the right Tweeting ratio, maybe 20:1 and at the same time engaging and being generous to the community can be acceptable.

• Julius

28. May, 2010

You are right maybe I wasn’t able to express my opinion right. I don’t see a problem with sending out tweets related to making money or through which you are trying to make money. I actually encourage promoting products you like. It just seems wrong to me to tweet about how good a product is if you have never used it. Thanks man!

6. Karen

27. May, 2010

Hi Julius,

Oh, I can’t stand those validation services either! Luckily not too many people use them, but they definitely are annoying.

You know, I never even realized that people would have two accounts, just to market their own articles and tweets. Those people have too much time on their hands in that case. :-)

I admit that I don’t engage as much as I should on Twitter. I have only a small amount of time that I can devote to it so I try to tweet recent articles and retweet other articles that I find interesting. But, it sure is interesting to read some other people’s personal tweets! :-)

Karen

• Julius

28. May, 2010

Sometimes it isn’t as obvious that one person has two accounts and retweets the tweets. It just seems a little pathetic to me. And again I don’t mean people that have different Twitter accounts for obvious reasons such as one being their personal Twitter account and the other business related.

I am also not engaging people as much as I should. I sometimes try to but then after a week I am busy doing other stuff. Thanks for the comment Karen!

7. Eric

29. May, 2010

Personally I will also admit I could use Twitter better than I do but I also think that far too many people get the wrong idea about it. It’s a social media tool and can of course be used to help spread each other’s content around but should also be used to get to know other people too – guilty as charged there man!

Good article! :)

• Julius

31. May, 2010

Yeah I am the same way. I haven’t been using Twitter that effectively. It’s really about getting to know other people and spread each others word. Thanks Eric.

8. Keith

29. May, 2010

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with making some money on Twitter, I do it all the time, and while it isn’t a bunch of money, I make some. I am picky about the ads I send out though, I don’t accept every offer, and I am social on Twitter 50x more than I send ads…

It’s my Twitter account, why can’t I make a few bucks?

• Julius

30. May, 2010

Thanks for the comment Keith. I agree with you. What I meant in the article is making money through rather unrelated ads that are not useful to your followers in any way. You know what I mean?

I dont necessarily think that there is something wrong with making money through Twitter as long as it ads value for your followers.