My Blog Report – September 2010
Posted on 01. Oct, 2010 by Julius.
I decided that I will do a monthly blogging report on my blog. I think it will freshen things up and will help you see what’s going on with my blog.
This month has been a good month and one of the first months in which I indeed made money online. The reason why I think this is the case is that it always takes time to build up your skills and create successful websites. So let’s dive right in and see what happened this month.
And Break Overview
In terms of traffic this month has been down from the last one. I guess that is due to my lack of writing for other blogs, such as Famous Bloggers, or because I didn’t get to comment as often, and on as many blogs, as I used to. I hope it will get better next month though since I will certainly have a much more normal day to day life.
The traffic is not down too much and you can see the reason that the traffic decreased, is because fewer new people visited the blog this month. That does support my theory that I didn’t promote my blog as much and thus was not able to draw lots of new people in.
- September: 97 (+44%)
- August: 67
As you can see the number of subscribers has increased by around 44% which I think is pretty good if you consider that I actually got less traffic in the meantime.
- Google Adsense
- Affiliate Earnings
- Amazon (US and Germany): $10.56
- Copy Writing Scorecard: $11.99
- Total: $23.42
It is actually exciting to see that I am starting to make money. I made a little bit of money last month but I only really started to make money this month. I have only made $23.42 which is not really impressive, but still not bad considering that I’ve made no money the months before.
As you can see from above I made some money through Adsense. This was only through 1 click and came from my public speaking mini site. So if I got more visitors to the mini site it could become a main source of income. The mini site is actually doing a lot better now and I think I need to attribute that to my better knowledge of SEO.
The money I made through Amazon came through my other mini sites. They are centered around hard drives and other physical objects. I did indeed manage to sell a few things that way. The interesting aspect of Amazon is to see how many people buy something completely different than the product you were initially promoting. Because of that I will try to build further upon and get more people to these sites.
I always wanted to be able to create videos and upload them to Youtube. The only problem was that I didn’t have the software to do it. This month I decided to buy iShowU HD Pro which I believe is a great piece of software. It simply enables you to make videos and to record your voice while talking. If someone of you is using a Mac then I would recommend you try it out. I think there is a demo available for download.
In this month alone I had two hacking attempts to my blog and I am actually glad that I got to know about them. I installed a plugin called WordPress Firewall a few months ago. All it does is to block certain requests and to warn you about potential attacks.
Whenever you get attacked it will automatically notify you via email which I find extremely useful. And that’s the reason why I got over at least 30 mails from this plugin (as you can see in the picture above). The problem with this plugin is that it also usually stops you from making any changes to your blog. This happened to me when I tried to change some code in my theme. Right after that it send me an email showing me what I tried to change. I actually hated it for doing that but then again it’s always good to see that a plugin is actually working. The one way you can get around this is to just disable the plugin when you are making some important changes.
- How to Milk Your High Search Engine Ranking for All It’s Worth – This is a great article by Ana in which she discusses a recent study about search engines and how you can get more traffic from them.
- 40 Day Challenge – This is such a good and long thread full of information on SEO. I think this certainly improved my search engine optimization skills. But be aware that it’s going to take a long time to read it.
- Affiliate SEO: How Websites Are Ranking in the Most Profitable Niches – This is a great article from Glen where he shares his insight on how certain websites are ranking within highly competitive niches, definitely worth reading.
- Top 10 Books that Helped Me Make Money Online in the Past Years – I really liked this article from Mike because I love books. I have read most of the books he mentioned but what you need to understand is simple. In order to get anywhere in life you need to want to learn. And that’s what this article is about.
- 5 Steps to Make More Money from Your Website with Less Traffic – This is another great article about how you can make money online. The reason why I like it so much is because Corbett argues that you don’t need a lot of traffic in order to make money.
I am currently thinking of making my blog more like Income Diary. I like Michael’s blog and I think he is doing a great job. I certainly don’t want to copy him but I do know that I want to get rid of my banner section here.
I went back and forth with putting banners on this blog. When I started out I clustered this place with banners. But then I decided to remove them. After a while I then again added them. The reason why I think it’s good to remove them (at least for my blog) is that they really don’t add any value to my blog. Instead I could include a little biography of myself or share some important content.
So what do you think? Should I remove the banners? Should I go in the direction of Income Diary?